Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Taking Time for Creativity

This January I undertook a new challenge in my life- graduate school.  I am working on a masters degree in Holocaust and Genocide Studies from Gratz College.  It is something that I have wanted to do for many years.  I knew going into this that there would be a lot of work, but I really had no idea how much.  I was completely overwhelmed.  As a result I spent all of my time reading and working and I closed off all of my creative outlets.  I stopped Zentangling.  I stopped card making.  I stopped everything.  And, lo and behold, I got burned out.

As I started to burn out I noticed my neglected sketch pad on the coffee table.  I picked it up and started to doodle.  Then I started doodling some more.  And I started to find myself relaxing.  I know that is one of the key purposes of Zentangle, but until I experienced it for myself I didn't really believe it.

I am now taking breaks from my reading to Zentangle whenever I start to feel overwhelmed.  As the final week of the semester looms, along with two research papers, I'm sure I will be Zentangling a lot.  The most important thing I have learned out of all of this is that, no matter what, you have to take time for creativity.

-Jennifer Gayle

No comments: