Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Going Flying

It's kind of fun to see life at work. A little over a year ago a friend of mine sent me a book that she thought I would like. It was called Taking Flight: Inspiration + Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings, by Kelly Rae Roberts. It's part companion, part guide, and part journal. It's the kind of book that makes you want to run to the craft room and lock yourself in until you're covered in paint and have little scraps of paper stuck to various parts of your clothes. I was all raring to go when I was hit with my ten-month forced hiatus from creative life. The book, along with many other things, got packed away and moved.

Fast forward to last week. The same friend sent me a link to a website. She had seen an artist's work in Hallmark and fallen in love. She wanted to share the artist's site with me because she knew I would love her work too. As I started surfing through the site I realized that there was something familiar about the artwork. Low and behold, the artist who had caught her eye was also the author of the book that she had sent me last year--Kelly Rae Roberts. I would say it's a small world, but I don't believe in coincidence.

I am at a point in my creative career where I could use some guidance. I've mostly decided what I want to do, and where I want to do it (read: new website coming in the near future). But I'm not too sure on the how. I can build a website, I can write a blog, but how do I share it with an audience. Enter Kelly Rae. As I was browsing her site I noticed a page for her e-course, "an inspiring and informative e-course where I share everything I know about how to start, grow, or expand your creative business." It was everything that I have been looking for. Depressed about not being able to afford to go to CraftyCon this fall, I was elated to find a source for all the information I've been looking for and it was only $99. Again, Kelly Rae is going to be a companion and a guide to those of us who want to share our creative spirit with the world (or at least the parts of the world who are interested in wearing things like Lego earrings).

I am totally elated, and grateful, that I have this opportunity. I look forward to learning all that I can, and hopefully someday I will be able to share my expertise with a whole new generation of crafters.

-Jen

BWS tips button

No comments: